Able Bodied Seaman (AB) | SMS | Lafayette, LA
- Prerequisites This course is principally intended as basic training for seafarers intending to advance to Able Seaman. Students must be able to read and understand English.
- Student Min/Max 1/24
- Availability Select a day and time to determine how many seats remain.
- Additional Schedule Details
Enrollment: All students must produce the following prior to the onset of training - Valid (photographic) government identification. Registration begins at 7 AM each day. The course ends at 4 PM CST on the 5th and final day.Attendance Requirements: Daily attendance and 100% participation in each module is required to obtain this certification.Location: Only offered at our Lafayette location.
- Course duration 40 Hours
- Course Summary
This course is intended to satisfy the Able Seaman training requirements set forth by 2010 STCW Convention and Code Section A-II/5, Table A-II/5, and the requirements of 46 CFR 12.05 for the “Deck & Navigation General/Deck Safety and “Deck General & Safety/Rules of the Road” exam modules for any Able Seaman Endorsement AND if presented within one year of the completion of training, the written and practical examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.05 for an Able Seaman endorsement.
- Target Audience
Able Seaman (AB) is any person below Officer and above Ordinary Seaman who holds a Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) in the deck department, endorsed by the Coast Guard.Ordinary Seaman (OS) or an Able Seaman (AB) rating is required to work on all ocean-going commercial vessels of greater than 100 gross tons.
- Theory Learning Objectives
On meeting the minimum standard of competence of ratings as Able Seafarer Deck, the trainee will be competent in the following areas:-Contribute to a safe navigational watch-Contribute to berthing and other mooring operations-Contribute to the handling of cargo and stores-Contribute to the safe operation of deck equipment and machinery-Apply occupational health and safety precautions-Apply precautions and contribute to the prevention of pollution of the marine environment-Contribute to shipboard maintenance and repairUpon successful completion of this course, students will receive a certificate confirming that they have satisfied the following USCG requirement(s):
- Practical Learning Objectives
The practical knot tying examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.05 – 9 for any able seaman endorsement.One of these items must be successfully demonstrated within 15 Minutes.-Eye Splice with bitter end whipped-Short Splice with whipped endsEach of these items must be successfully demonstrated within 15 Minutes.-Bowline-Square Knot-Clove Hitch-Sheet BendA combination of any six of these items must be successfully demonstrated within 15 Minutes.-Running Bowline-Bowline on a Bight-Cat’s Paw-Figure Eight-Carrick Bend-Round Turn and Two Half Hitches-Rolling Hitch-Stopper Hitch-Timber Hitch-Stage Hitch-Barrel Hitch-Fisherman’s Bend
- Certification Details
The written examination requirements of 46 CFR 12.05 for the “Deck & Navigation General/Deck Safety and “Deck General & Safety/Rules of the Road” exam modules for any Able Seaman EndorsementWritten Exam: A minimum written test score of 70% is required on two written tests. Students who fail a test will undergo remediation and be allowed to retest. Failure of retests requires repeating the course before they may test again. Students must satisfactorily perform hands-on evolutions as required by USCG assessments.Location: Offered only at our Lafayette location.
- Validity Period 5 Years
- Accreditation or Standard
- Cancellation Policy Cancellation fees apply if cancelled within 7 days of the course start date . The amount retained will equal 100 percent of the transaction. Any refund requests after this period are to be requested from the trainer. If approved by the trainer, remittance of refunds will be handled by the trainer outside of our site.For more details read our Refund Policy
Services and Amenities
- ADA Accessiblity
- Meals Included
- Emailed Certificates
- Printed Course Materials
- Lodging Shuttle Service
2916 North University Avenue, Lafayette, LA, USA
- Items to BringPlease bring your goverment issued ID, a towel, hard hat, steel-toed boots and safety glasses.
- Health and Safety Considerations*Safety First: Safety Management Systems (SMS) regards your safety first and suggests the following: Candidates that are concerned with participating in practical exercises due to current or pre-existing medical conditions should consult their primary care provider prior to the onset of the training program as to the nature and extent of the training.
About Your Trainer,ssss
SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
- $ 1000
STCW First Aid and CPR New Orleans, US(0)
- $ 900
USCG Approved Basic Safety Training (BT) STCW... New Orleans, US(0)
USCG Approved STCW First Aid / CPR (STCW 2010... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
USCG Approved Basic Safety Training (BT) STCW... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
USCG Approved PSC (Proficiency in Survival Cr... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Medical Care Provider (MCP) (STCW 2010) (form... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Offshore Marine Service Association Safety Or... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Vessel Security Officer 2 Day Program – USC... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)