Diver Medical Technologist (DMT) | SMS | Lafayette, LA
- Prerequisites Proof of Pre-Hospital Emergency Medical Training, Fit for pressure medical evaluation
- Student Min/Max 1/16
- Availability Select a day and time to determine how many seats remain.
- Additional Schedule Details
Enrollment: All students must produce the following prior to the onset of training - Valid (photographic) government identification. Registration begins at 7 AM each day. The course ends at 4 PM CST on the 7th day.Attendance Requirements: Daily attendance and 100% participation in each module is required to obtain this certification.Location: Only offered at our Lafayette location.
- Course duration 55 Hours
- Course Summary
The Diver Medical Technologist (DMT) course is an extensive 5-day program designed to convey pertinent medical and operational information to divers who may be required to evaluate and treat diving accidents.
- Target Audience Dive Medical Technologists working in offshore environments.
- Theory Learning Objectives
Review of Diving Physics, Anatomy/Physiology of the Ear and Hearing, Barotraumas (Squeeze and External Otitis), Inner Ear Barotraumas, Anatomy of the Chest, Respiratory Physiology, Physical Examination of the Chest, Pulmonary Over inflation Syndromes, Bubble Theory, Decompression Sickness, Neurological Examination, Treatment Table Review, Adjunctive Therapy, Drugs and Diving, Altitude Decompression, Physical Examination of Divers, Women and Diving, Central Nervous System Oxygen Toxicity, Pulmonary Oxygen Toxicity, Hypoxia, Carbon Dioxide Retention (Hypercapnia), Inert Gas Narcosis, Effects of Carbon Monoxide Toxicity, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Breath Hold Diving, Drowning and Near Drowning, Hypothermia, Underwater Work Hazards: Blasts, Shocks, Toxic Gas Exposure, Underwater Work Hazards: Dangerous Marine Life, Differential Diagnosis of Diving Accidents, Saturation Diving and High Pressure Nervous Syndrome, Dysbaric Osteonecrosis, Insertion of IV’s, IO’s, Medication Administration, Suturing, Electrocardiograms, Hearing Conservation Program and Medical Exam, Hands-on practical exams conducted in a highly stressed with frequent “Simulations” performed by the students to demonstrate understanding of the management of diving and non-diving situations.
- Practical Learning Objectives
Students receive substantial theoretical and practical instruction in patient examination, recognition of DCS and AGE, field management of diving casualties, evacuation and treatment of diving accident victims, hyperbaric chambers and treatment procedures, and hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Students also receive instruction in advanced invasive techniques and procedures, including airway management (endotracheal intubation), nasogastric tubes, intravenous and intramuscular injections, Foley catheterization, and suturing.Students will have the opportunity to operate a recompression chambers and experience working in a treatment chamber under actual hyperbaric conditions.
- Certification Details
Written Exam: Students must pass a final written examination in order to receive certification.
- Validity Period 2 Years
- Accreditation or Standard
- Trainer or Industry Specific
- Cancellation Policy Cancellation fees apply if cancelled within 7 days of the course start date . The amount retained will equal 100 percent of the transaction. Any refund requests after this period are to be requested from the trainer. If approved by the trainer, remittance of refunds will be handled by the trainer outside of our site.For more details read our Refund Policy
Services and Amenities
- ADA Accessiblity
- Emailed Certificates
- Printed Course Materials
2916 North University Avenue, Lafayette, LA, USA
- Items to BringPlease bring a government-issued ID.
- Health and Safety Considerations*Safety First: Safety Management Systems (SMS) regards your safety first and suggests the following: Candidates that are concerned with participating in practical exercises due to current or pre-existing medical conditions should consult their primary care provider prior to the onset of the training program as to the nature and extent of the training.
About Your Trainer,ssss
SAFETY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
Protecting lives and changing cultures since 2003
Our goal is to ensure that everyone in the energy industry has a safe work environment and the knowledge to perform their duties safely.+ More - Less
We know your workers are more than the tasks they perform; they are people with homes, families, and stories. Just as you desire to see each of your employees return home to their families safely, SMS aspires to provide a variety of safety services that help ensure that’s possible. Our responsibility to safety in the energy industry is attained by working together and promoting a safety culture.
Lafayette, United States Member Since May 2018
Emergency Medical Technician/Diver Medical Te... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Refresher ... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) | SMS | La... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) Refresher |... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Emergency Medical Responder (EMR) (formerly F... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)
Dive Medical Technologist (DMT) Refresher | S... Lafayette, United Sta...(0)